Friday, September 12, 2008

Costco and Hurricane Ike

Ok, so Hurricane Ike is a big deal...in Texas. Which, I might add is nowhere near where I live. So this evening after I get off work I decide to go to Costco, where I needed a grand total of 3, yes 3, items.

First, I pull up to the gas pumps. Or, rather, the gas line. This line stretches out into the street. Now, granted, gas prices will go up because the hurricane is liable to do some damage to refineries, but come on, gas lines? Waiting 15 minutes for half a tank of gas? Well of course, since I was already in the line (by virtue of not having a choice) I waited my fifteen minutes and put a quarter tank in my car. After all, it was $3.40 a gallon.

Ok, so I have gas and it's now about an hour before Costco closes. On any other Friday night the store would be empty. But, oh no, not tonight. Tonight there was nary a parking space to be found. Yes, that's right, we must stock up on bottled water before the hurricane hits a completely different part of the country! I don't understand the thought pattern:

Person 1: Honey, have you seen the news? There's a hurricane in Texas.

Person 2: Really? well let's hope they are ok.

Person 1: I think you missed what I said, there's a hurricane?

Person 2: Well, gosh darn it, we've got to get to Costco.

So, I fight my way in and get my three items. Three items which aren't even big enough for a family of 10. I then approach the choke points of all choke points, the cash registers.

Obviously, the brainiacs in Seattle (Costco HQers) had not figured out that a hurricane in one part of the country causes irrational responses everywhere else in the country. So, my Costco only had two registers open, and a midday Saturday crowd waiting to check out.

But, hey, there's a hurricane!

No comments: